It seems that the whole world is beginning to understand the impact doors have on our lives.
Published in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology in 2011, performed by Gabriel Radvansky and her team at Notre Dame look at the ‘event model’ for forgetting things as we pass through doorways. Susan Gilbert of Notre Dame explains:
“We’ve all experienced it: The frustration of entering a room and forgetting what we were going to do. Or get. Or find.
New research from University of Notre Dame Psychology Professor Gabriel Radvansky suggests that passing through doorways is the cause of these memory lapses.
“Entering or exiting through a doorway serves as an ‘event boundary’ in the mind, which separates episodes of activity and files them away,” Radvansky explains. (Read more here)
Doors, doors, doors (and not “The Doors”)
Everything is relative in Feng Shui. Not only are the forms and colors we live with important, they define our experience in a deeper way than we thought possible–unless you’ve studied or paid mind to Feng Shui’s thousands’ year old wisdom (oh THAT old line again? sorry).
Doors do create event boundaries, as above; part of the reason why the bagua map is relative to each room individually, why more than one door in a room creates a particular energy flow, and why doors are so vitally important to address the doors in your life, energy which leads you to your Life Purpose, your journey and career and why it’s only one part of the entire picture, but an important one.
PS As I am writing this, on the radio is the tune: “Let my love open the door…to your heart.” Awesome.
Here are a few things to think about when making friends with your doors:
- According to Feng Shui, Doors open us to opportunity. Our front door is the Mouth of Ch’i which brings fresh Life Force into our homes and our lives. Really look at the entrance to your home. Is it obvious, beautiful and well cared for? Stand at your doors, inside and outside and look around: what do you see?
- Are your doors beautiful? Do they look inviting and work perfectly? They can send off fresh life or invite all our goodness to find us. Here’s how Feng Shui looks at doors and what to do to make yours work FOR you.
- If you see a beautiful view, if your eye is led around to entrancing views, you are on the right track! If not, clear anything that is clutter and anything that takes your energy down. What we see speaks a language of metaphor to our subconscious, as well as the language of energy and emotion.
- Doors directly across from each other ‘steal’ energy. If your neighbor’s front door or garage is across from your front door, you are losing energy and life force. Place some landscaping between your door and the other or at the very least, if you can, hang a bagua mirror above your front door. If you cannot do that, place a wreathe on your front door and place a small round mirror facing toward the offending door. Other options apply, if you have questions, just email me.
- A home or door that is hard to find, a walkway that is in disrepair or overgrown by plants, hidden street number or not-well-lighted doorway all signal that we are unavailable for the goodness in our lives.
- Make sure it’s well lighted, that your handle, hinges and your doorbell work perfectly. If not, put this on the list for you handy person or whoever handles your ‘honey do’ list. Even make sure your garage door works perfectly, the light works, the remote works, etc. and everything is easy and welcomes you home beautifully.
- If you have cats, think about installing a cat door on a closet door to allow the kitties to have access to their litter but keep it out of sight.
Feng Shui TIP: Your main entrance is vitally important in your ability to live the work that feels like play to you. Not your daily entrance but the front door that the post office tags your address to. If you don’t use your front door daily, it is equivalent to covering your mouth and trying to live your fullest. Your front door is known as the Mouth of Ch’i…if you are not using it daily, you are not getting your full breath of fresh air and opportunity.
Open your front door daily, welcome the new, and use it often! The Life Force doesn’t listen to ‘Reason’ or excuses, so invite it in with positive arrangement of your entrance, make sure the doors open completely and onto a beautiful view. Have you tried to have a conversation with a storm lately? It’s an advanced move.
For today, make sure your doors open completely, with nothing blocking them. Note which doors need to be repaired, which ones might need to have a spring-hinge that will keep them closed, like bathroom doors, especially ones that open onto the foyer or other rooms like a bedroom. Clear the space behind and around your doors. Remove items from the stairs and be sure your walkways and hallways are open and clear.
Everything matters, so also, make sure your car doors work perfectly. Hit the hinges with a little WD-40, wipe the door frame and clean the door itself. You’ll be so amazed at the difference it makes, all around!