It’s been said, “If you don’t know where you’re going, you’re sure to get there.”
Many folks do this with holiday letters, recapping what happened significantly during the past year, updating their friends about events, births, vacations, etc.
With a little tweak, this same exercise will amaze and delight you and help you create your best year yet in 2013. This can even be used to help you with your 3, 5, 10 and lifelong autobiography–backwards!
This works so well that you’ll be amazed and surprised all year long, especially when you dig out your list next year.
Where you were and where you are now…
As we quickly approach the end of 2012, if you haven’t already, take some time to look back on your year; write down what happened. In January, hmm, what happened of significance in January? Anything? Nothing? It’s all important. In February? In the First Quarter? What happened that was surprising, what did you do that changed your life? What worked well? What were the significant milestones or markers you experienced? Who did you meet? Where did you travel?
This is important because you have probably forgotten a good part of the joy, luck and struggle that you experienced. Take time with this, it’s significantly important. When you are finished, set it aside, file it but keep it in a place where you can refer to it later.
Now, here’s the crazy exercise:
Now pretend that you are at the end of 2013…pretend that it’s now the beginning of 2014 and you are doing the same exercise. This is what’s amazing. When I do this, what seems like miracles happen.
This precious exercise can be used to set the powerful stage for all aspects of your life.
Try this now:
- Think for a moment about your life and what you want. Don’t think about what’s ‘realistic’ or what is ‘possible’. Just think about what you want…if you had a Genie and you could have endless wishes…
- What kind of relationship changes do you want? Write it down. What kind of career changes would you like to be living? List it and give it a story, date and time that it already occurred. What about your health, your finances? Your vacation and travel plans? What about your family? Your children? What breakthroughs would you like to have for them?
- Next, get 12 pieces of paper and begin. On the top of one write: January 2013. Now write the things that ‘happened’ in January 2013.
- In January 2013, what did you get clear about? What magnificent thing happened? Did you suddenly enjoy a beautiful relationship with your significant other? Were you given a promotion or job that you always wanted? Did you make the committment to clear your clutter and keep your resolutions?
- In February 2013, what did you do? What surprises occured? Who called out of the blue and changed your life for the better? What amazing doors opened? Who did you meet that you always wanted to meet?
- Keep going…do at least the first 6 months of the year. This exercise takes about 2 hours but it will save you thousands of hours of struggle and surprise and delight you. If you are really interested in changing your life, do this for the next 5 years, 10 years, your entire life! What will you be able to say as you sit at the end of your life? What will be your story? Then here’s the important part:
Share it with a friend
This part will turbo charge this exercise. Set aside a time to share this with a friend. Get a cup of tea, a glass of wine and sit together, either in person or over the phone. Pretend your are in 2014 and looking back, sharing your amazing year.
Speaking this outloud with a friend who will “play the game” with you is important because it magnifies the exercise and makes it real to your body, mind and spirit.
Next: go live your life.
Do the things that you are intuitively guided to do. Do the work to clear your clutter, reset your spaces and stay open-hearted and happy in your daily life. Do this and I guarantee you that you will be surprised at how things happen in this beautiful, quirky life of ours.
I can’t wait to hear about how 2013 was your best year yet! I can’t wait to live it!